Today we arrive at Prado Museum – Mythological Gods, for our weekly Museum Guide excursion, led by Divvya Nirula.
The Prado Museum is one of the best art museums in the world, and is part of the Golden Triangle of art in Madrid. Presented here are our top three must-see objects on view here. Next time you visit the museum, do not miss these!
1. The Birth of the Milky Way, 1636-1638, by Peter Paul Rubens
2. Saturn, 1820-1823, Francisco de Goya
3. Narcissus, 1636-1638, Jan Cossiers
Some fun facts about the Museum :
- The Museum functions with the help of donations and bequests from its many supporters and friends.
- There is a Board of Trustees that acts as the primary governing body of the Museum.
- The Fundación Amigos del Museo del Prado was established in 1980. It is a private and non-profit body that consists of friends of the Museum. These include individuals, companies as well as other institutions.
- The Foundation’s primary function is to ensure continued support to the Museum.
- In 1996, the Foundation was awarded the Gold Medal for Merit in Fine Arts by the Ministry of Culture.
- In 2003, the Foundation was given the Medal of Honour from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts de San Fernando.
A Final Thought :
The Foundation plays a crucial part in shaping the future of the Prado Museum. While we all enjoy looking at beautiful art, that fact is that putting on exhibitions and maintaining art spaces can be an expensive affair. The Fundación Amigos del Museo del Prado ensures the Museum is able to raise the funds it requires to continue putting on world-class exhibitions.
Visit Art From Us Archive for Museum Guide collated by Divvya Nirula. Here you shall find more suggestions on where you should visit next. And what you should see there.