Today we arrive at LACMA’s Art of the Americas Building – collection of Japanese Painting, in Los Angeles, for our Museum Guide excursion, led by Divvya Nirula.
The Art of the Americas building was established as a way to represent American art and artists at LACMA. Presented here are our top three must-see objects on view here. Next time you visit the LACMA in Los Angeles, do not miss these!
- Lord Sadanobu Threatens a Demon in the Palace at Night, 1889 by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
- the wounded eagle, circa 1870 by Marie-Rosalie Bonheur
- Ōya Tarō Mitsukune, 1865 by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi
Some fun facts about the Museum : 2019-2021
– Around April 2019, the design for LACMA’s new building was approved. The museum had intended to restructure architectural for a long time. However, they lacked the funds. The original museum design just wasn’t working any more.
– The new building is intended to replace 4 of the old LACMA buildings that are now showing early signs of structural damage. These are the Ahmanson, Art of the Americas, Bing and Hammer. Through the new design, museum authorities hope to house a major chunk of the art collection under one roof. This in turn will improve viewer experience through easy-to-navigate spaces, a better curatorial program etc. A new parking lot for the growing number of visitors is also part of the project.
– In the context of public museums, major restructuring is always a tricky affair. On the one hand, most believe that any funds should be directed towards adding to the museum collection. On the other, if museum facilities are not improved frequently, there is a threat of the public becoming ‘bored’ of the museum, and visitor numbers declining.
– The LACMA renovations stem from a desire to evolve, but also from a need to ensure the safety of their visitors and the collection. Many have claimed that since the very opening of the museum, the architecture of William Pereira was riddled with problems. Leakages, spaces that were difficult to navigate and rooms that were to small to fit the art collection.
A Final Thought & Update :
The new building is intended to be a horizontal design that promotes a more democratic display of art. This would also allow for greater accessibility to visitors whilst not compromising on design or spacing. Set to open in 2021, the new building is intended to be an impressive 346,000 sq. ft.
Visit Art From Us Archive for Museum Guide collated by Divvya Nirula. Here you shall find more suggestions on where you should visit next. And what you should see there.