Today we arrive Tate Modern – Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen, for our Museum Guide excursion, led by Divvya Nirula.
This gallery exhibits works by Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen. Presented here are our top three must-see objects on view here. Next time you visit the museum, do not miss these!
1. Gordon Road (Byker), 1971, by Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen
2. Jimmy Dodds (Byker), 1980, by Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen
3. Byker Park Dominoes Club (Byker), 1974, by Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen
Some fun facts about the Museum :
- Konttinen was born in Myllykoski in Finland. With an ambition of pursuing photography, she studied in London.
- She was one of the founding members of Amber Film & Photography Collective, which was set up in 1968.
- At the end of the 60s, Konttinen moved to Byker. She found inspiration in the place, its architecture and its people. They all became the subject of her photography over the next decade. Her work culminated into a book that was named after the area.
- After this she undertook various other projects. The book Step by Step resulted from her study of girls from North Shields attending dance lessons. While Coal Coast was inspired by her 3 year long project of photographing the beach around Seaham and Hartlepool
A Final Thought : Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen
Konttinen has been the subject of countless exhibitions in and around New Castle and London. Additionally, she has also received several awards and honours for her work. These include the Grand Prix at the Melbourne International Film Festival in 1992. And the Prix du Documentarire, in 1992. Both these were for her film The Writing in the Sand.
Visit Art From Us Archive for Museum Guide collated by Divvya Nirula. Here you shall find more suggestions on where you should visit next. And also what you should see there.